Just to introduce myself, I am a 21-year old Korean American who was born in South Korea and moved to America when I was about a year old. I have one younger sister who is the total opposite of me that also goes to UT and parents who live in Dallas. I also have 4 dogs: 2 toy poodles that live here in Austin with me and 2 Jindo dogs (a type of Korean dog) back home in Dallas. Here are 10 characteristics, behaviors, etc. that would be helpful to a marketer when trying to create a persona related to me (not in any particular order)!
1. I love the color pink. And I also like it with a combination of black and/or white as well. A lot of what I own is pink. My bed sheets, iPod, laundry hamper, laptop, backpack, and even Bible are all pink, or at least have pink in it for the most part. When a product comes in a variety of colors and the color pink is included, you can almost bet that I chose the pink one.
2. I am very indecisive when choosing between two or more items. Having variety is great and gives buyers a lot of options, but sometimes when there is TOO much variety it sort of stresses me out. I’m very picky and indecisive when I need to choose because I want the best option, and when I can’t seem to decide what that is, I don’t feel as satisfied about my purchase. For example, when I’m choosing between shirts with more than one color that I want, I stand at the store contemplating which one I want for longer than I should. Even after I purchase it, I find myself wondering, “should I have gotten the other one?”
3. I consider myself more of a trend-follower rather than a trend-setter. I guess you can say I don’t really take “risks” when it comes to fashion. But that’s because I’m not really that into it, my sister is the fashion queen, not me. Whether I’m too scared to try something bold or I just don’t view a certain new trend as cool or pretty until I see it on more people, I tend to not jump on the bandwagon until the trend is in the growth or maturity stage of the product life cycle. To give a somewhat recent example, the mini dresses with a plaid skirt and a sort of tank top attached to it did not look “pretty” to me when I first saw it, and I definitely did not see myself wearing one. But after seeing more girls wearing it, I started to think it looked good and eventually bought one myself.
4. I like flashy electronics, but I like simple clothing-styles. So I’m probably similar to most people my age when I say that new, shiny electronics are fun to have. I love Apple’s iPod, iPhone, and MAC laptops (the latter two which I don’t own). In general, I like my electronics and things like it to be very sleek and modern looking. This is why I chose the Apple iPod instead of some other MP3 player; the iPod just looks way cooler. Then again, I am the complete opposite with my clothing. I don’t like outrageous styles and colorful clothing, but prefer simple clothing-styles whether it is a shirt, pants, or dress. I hate it when there are too many weird colors or beads and accessories attached. My sister says my choice in clothing is boring and that I have too much black and white. I just think black and white looks good on me!
5. I enjoy the night-life and eat late at night a lot. I love going out to eat with my friends and having a few (or maybe more than a few) drinks at night. It’s a great way to meet new people and just let loose from all of the stress during the day. Going downtown or any other social gathering is exciting to me and I’m sure it is for most college students, right? I don’t know if it’s because I don’t wake up early enough to eat breakfast and pretty much have to eat a really late lunch after classes, but I always eat late at night. This is pretty much my third meal since I skip breakfast. I know it’s really bad for your diet and health, but I can’t help it! I feel like I’m the only person with this problem, but then I forget that I’m on a college campus with a lot of people who also eat late at night. Or maybe there really isn’t, and that’s just what I would like to think.
6. I am not very careful with my car and electronics. Maybe it’s because I’m a girl, but I suck at taking care of my car and electronics. I have bird poop stains on my one and a half-year car that won’t come off because I left it on too long during the summer and it pretty much melted onto my car (I’m stupid and didn’t know bird poop did that even after you wash and scrub). I drop my phone pretty much every day (one time in a toilet too) and I can tell it’s not working at optimal performance at times when it’s only one-year old now. I am recently having problems with the LCD panel on my year-old pink laptop so I may have to replace the whole screen (and before this one, I had a laptop that didn’t even last me two years before it completely stopped working; the cost to repair was not worth it, so that’s when I bought my pretty pink one). And also, my digital camera is not working probably because I dropped that sometime as well, but I don’t even want to try to fix that! This is why my dad got this special insurance on my car, I am not getting an iPhone (the screen would probably crack in half the first day I get it), and I may have to get another new laptop (would be my third one in my fourth year of college). Overall, I have bad luck (and I’m sure a lot of it is my fault) with electronics and I need strong, sturdy products that won’t break easily!
7. I would say I fall for name-brand items. I don’t know why, but I just don’t trust non-brand items as much as I do name-brand ones. Marketers have definitely done a good job brainwashing me to stick with brand names. Whether it’s a bag of chips or a new pair of shoes, I almost always go for the name-brand instead of the store brand.
8. Music is a part of my everyday life. It’s hard to walk on campus without listening to my iPod. Sometimes the walks to and from campus are long and boring, and I love listening to my music, it starts and ends my day well. I also can’t drive my car long without listening to music. Driving is also boring if you’re alone and it’s fun to sing while you drive! And of course, I listen to music a lot at home too.
9. I like products with a clean scent to it. I don’t really like the flowery or vanilla-y scent. I prefer the clean linen and breeze (the ones that come in a light blue color) smell for Febreze, laundry detergents, etc. The “blue” scent just makes me feel fresh and clean. It also does not have as strong of an odor as some of the other ones and has a more natural feel and smell to it.
10. I listen to people’s opinions over advertisements. When it comes to purchasing anything from a commercial item like gum to a high-end product like a new laptop, I always ask friends for their opinion. Advertisements introduce and make me aware of specific products, but it’s mostly a result of what I have heard from others that helps me in my final decision to buy or not. No matter how great a T.V. ad is, if someone in my social group had a bad experience with a product, I will probably not buy it.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment